City, seat (1907) of Washington county, northeastern Oklahoma, U.S., on the Caney River. It was settled in the 1870s around Jacob Bartles's trading post. Growth was spurred by the discovery of oil in 1897 and the arrival of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad in 1899. A replica of Oklahoma's first commercial well, the Nellie Johnstone No. 1, is in Johnstone Park, site of the original tapping. Oil and gas production, zinc smelting, and themanufacture of oil-field equipment are the city's economic mainstays.
In the city centre stands the 221-foot (67-metre) tall Price Tower, a copper- and glass-encased structure designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1953 and completed in 1956. A U.S. Bureau of Mines petroleum experimental station is also in the city, as is Oklahoma Wesleyan College (1909). Bartlesville is the headquarters of the Delaware Indians. Woolaroc Museum, established by oilman Frank Phillips, is 14 miles (23 km) southwest. Tom Mix was deputy marshal of nearby Dewey before becoming a famous silent-screen movie star; the Tom Mix Museum, displaying many of the film star's personal effects, is located in Dewey.